Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Have a Little Faith

Scene from last Christmas


Me: Here honey. sliding a book across the counter. I got this for my Christmas stocking.

The Boy: Umm....I thought I was supposed to be in charge of what goes in your stocking. Isn't Christmas supposed to be about surprises and such?
Me: I know. But I really wanted this book. And I know we have a rule about not buying things for yourself after Thanksgiving.  But what if I didn't drop enough hints and you didn't get it for me? Just looking out for you.  You can thank me later.  Do you want me to wrap it for you too??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have a favorite author?  One where you own all their books?
Who is it?  I'd love to hear about them/their books?

Unless its J.K Rowling and Harry Potter....I'm pretty sure we ALL own that series.

I have a couple.  One being Mitch Albom. 
Tuesdays with Morrie. LOVE.
5 People you Meet in Heaven. LOVE.
For One More Day. LOVE.

And this one.  Have a Little Faith.

The novel opens with Albom's old Rabbi asking him to do the eulogy when he dies.  It is the story of one's life purpose and about losing faith and finding it again.

A quick, enjoyable read for those of little faith or big faith, jewish or christian or something else.  It got me thinking.  Maybe someday I will vocalize my thoughts on heaven, hell, purgatory, the here and now, and how that movie Groundhog's Day might really have been onto something.  Maybe.  Someday.  I'll tell you mine and you can tell me yours, deal?  All while eating something tasty delicious.

But, really.  You should read this one.  And if you don't, at least consider Tuesdays with Morrie.  It'd be good for your soul.

One of my favorite passages from the book:

A baby comes into this world with fists clenched tight.  Trying to grab everything, thinking THE WORLD IS MINE!  An old man leaves this world with hands wide open.  He has learned the lesson. 
And that lesson is:


We can take nothing with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails