Friday, February 25, 2011

A Reliable Wife

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

This was just a story. A story of people, of Ralph and Emilia and Antonio and Catherine and the mothers and the fathers what had died, too soon or too late, of people who had hurt one another as much as people can do, who had been selfish and not wise, and had become trapped inside the bitter walls of memories they wished they had never had.

I bought this book for one of the prizes the month that I hosted bunco at my house.  But the I got nervous and worried whether the person who won it would even be a reader or not like the genre or just plain think it was a sucky gift.  Such things happen.

Since I was reading something else at the time, I let my sister-in-law borrow it.  She told me it was the worst book she ever read.  That struck me as odd since it came so highly recommended from the Borders sales girl the day I picked it out.  She told me that everyone (the employees) were reading it right now and everyone was loving it.  Since I bought the book I felt obligated to read it even though the sister-in-law's review was -3 stars.  I personally thought it was like a sex, drugs, and rock n roll story set in a different time.  Or that it was a love story in the way that Wuthering Heights is a love story (only I liked the end of this one a lot better).


I didn't get very far into the book before I came across this passage:

I'm the kind of woman who wants to know the end of the story, she thought, starting at her face in the jostling mirror. I want to know how its going to end before it even starts.


And I couldn't help but think, now there's a girl after my own heart.  I am queen of plot-spoiling and looking up book summaries online while I am still mid-way through the book.  I just need to know that I'm going to approve of the ending. 

I say give it a try.  It is after all, on the book end cap at Raley's right this very minute.  You may like it or hate it.  Such things happen. 

And I leave you with this, from the author's interview at the back of my book:
Life isn't fair, and it can fill you with joy or break your heart, all because of choices we make, all because of the unforeseen consequences of actions we take without thinking.

Isn't that the truth.

~Zeke

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails