Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff

If you are a cradle Catholic, or a cradle any kind of Christian, I predict you will enjoy this quick read. As long as you don't take anything too literally, you won't get offended by Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. It's the same stories I grew up hearing in church every Sunday since I can remember, except with a little twist and a lot of wit.


Biff, Jesus’ bff, has been resurrected into present time to fill in the missing adolescent years of Jesus not found in the four gospels. This book contains accounts of Jesus (aka Joshua) and Biff's teenage coming of age antics, including bringing lizards back from the dead, some swearing and a love triangle between the boys and Mary Magdalene. It's light hearted and amusing even up to the crucifixion. (I was wondering how Moore could keep the comedy element in this section, I thought he did a good job considering the subject matter).

I think I enjoyed the humor in this book so much more because I had already read Good Omens and Paradise Lost. I related to this book better than Moore’s Island of the Sequined Love Nun. That’s most likely because I am more familiar with the biblical subject matter than I am about islands in the South Pacific where doctors trick the natives into selling their kidneys on the black market.


If you are looking for a few good laughs and one that won’t make you think too hard, this is a quick, light hearted read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails