Friday, June 15, 2012

Daughters





Daughters, written by Consuelo Saah Baehr, is a family saga spanning 3 generations of women.  It begins in a 19th century, small Jerusalem village and find it's way to Georgetown in the mid-1970s.  It chronicles the lives of women who begin life in strict family traditions with chosen marriages and family expectations to uphold, and then find themselves in the midst of war and cultural upheaval.  While the book is fairly long, it's easy to get cause up in the story of women and their coping with the decisions of work, money, food, love that have to be made in the war torn Palestine.

At it's core, the book is about each of the three women's courage, love, and hope.  True to the stories that come out of this region, I found the book to be bittersweet (much the same way A Thousand Splendid Suns is or The Kite Runner).   I accept the ending of the book as it is but it will probably be a book that I rewrite the ending in my head.  Much like I do with the City of Angels movie.  Because sometimes after so many setbacks in life you just need a happy ending!

Just as a warning, this book had quite a bit of sexual content.  Enough that I found myself kind of uncomfortable reading it on a long plane ride next to strangers and wandering eyes.  I'm a weirdo, I know.  But don't say I didn't warn you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails