Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cloud Atlas

The cookies and cream were the first to be pilfered from the Halloween candy bowl
I carried Cloud Atlas (by David Mitchell) around with me for weeks and quite a few people commented on the book and how much they loved it.  But I had such a hard time finishing it, I had to check it out from the library three separate times to get it read all the way through.

Cloud Atlas is a series of 6 tales, with one leading into the next and a series of reincarnations of the main character.  It travels from the 19th century South Pacific through to a post-revolution future, and then travels backward through all the stories to the character's end.

The concept of interrupted, related stories was interesting but it made the first half of the book feel disjointed to me and I struggled keeping my interest.  The second half of the book went a lot quicker and I enjoyed it a lot more.  The story has similar concepts as Ann Brashares' My Name is Memory, except this one is for for adult audiences and less YA.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the preview looks pretty good:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails