Monday, September 9, 2013

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

I am slowly working my way through my list of "American classics".  Most recently, I read Betty Smith's, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.  Written in 1943, it's the tale of an Irish-American family living in Brooklyn in the early 20th century.

I don't have much of a review of the synopsis (you can read it on wiki if you like).  But I really enjoyed it!  I have tried to talk the boy into reading it but so far he hasn't picked it up yet.  It felt like reading a mix of the Laura Ingalls Wilder and Frank McCourt books.  Not a terribly suspenseful story but the every day struggle of a family just trying to work and have enough money to pay the bills and raise a family.

Anyone who is a little house fan would enjoy this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails