Friday, August 12, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

When I was in high school we had to write a paper on nuclear energy.  The pros and cons of using it as an energy source versus the hazards of storing the waste.  It's a tough debate, even today.   I was pro- Yucca Mountain at age 16...for the record.

When I was in college, we discussed the medical ethics of stem cells and bioengineering.  You can do great things with science.  But should you?  My Sister's Keeper would have fit in nicely as assigned reading. 

I honestly enjoyed every page of this book, it was the right mix of humor, family drama, and serious decisions.  In it, we meet a family that decides to bring a third child into their world in the hopes that her cord blood will save her sister's life.  Kate was diagnosed with leukemia at age 3.  Several relapses and marrow transplants later, Anna is encouraged to donate a kidney in hopes of again saving her sister.  But where do you draw the line?  How do you choose between two children that are both your own.  What would you do if you were the one choosing?

Naturally, after reading the book, I wanted to see the movie.  I can't believe how different the two are.  This is most definitely a don't judge the book by the movie situation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails