Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Is this how it's going to be?

I'm sure any one of us Newman children can tell you want dinner time was like when we were growing up. We ate dinner at the table with the nightly news running on the TV in the background.

Dad would ask each of us "How was your day?" and "Did you learn anything in school today?"

Usually the stock answers were given...."Fine" and "nothing". To which always earned the response "Well you must have learned something." And Eventually each of us would offer up a small insight into what our day had been like.

All this time I chalked it up to classic teenager attitude and indifference. Something all children went through at some point, trying to assert their independence and what not.

So, here we are...only the 2nd week of preschool:
Me: "Em, how was school today? What did you do?"
Em: "Fine" and "I don't know"
Me: "I'll tell you what I did at work today if you tell me what you did at school"
Em: "I can't mom. That would ruin the surprise"

hmmmppptt...I thought I had a few more years at least before they quit freely sharing their life.

1 comment:

  1. Em cracks me up.

    Aubrey is a little disappointed. She is worried that Miss Pam doesn't know her numbers because they haven't "done" them yet. She did joyfully inform me that they sang an alphabet song so "Miss Pam is learning her letters".

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails