Friday, June 21, 2013

Why they invented waterproof mascara



So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

William Carlos Williamson



So we knew this day was coming around our house.  The day we would decide that Maggie, the goat we got for weed management really, has had enough of this living with cancer business.  It has been rougher than I imagined it would be.  She really weaseled her way into our family.  The last 6 months she's gotten more attention than ever as we managed her health.  And just last week I caught her drinking beer out of the cup I'd left on the back porch and begging marshmallows out of the kids' hands.

We talked about what would be different when we got home and how it would go for Maggie.
She's in good company with our beloved Beatrix.
And as Burrito and Emma reminded me: Dobby (the rooster), goldie (the goldfish...naturally), and blackie (the black goldfish if you can call him that....who lived for quite a short time in our house).

And after all was said and done I noticed Maggie left me one last message.   Not three days ago, the blackberry plant that I have been trying to grow all season (it was transplanted from the front to the back yard) was finally starting to look really good and I thought maybe we'd get blackberries this year after all. 

Today I noticed Maggie had nibbled on it, one last time:




All I could do was shake my head, smile, and wipe away a tear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails