Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Their Eyes were Watching God

Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I picked this one because it seemed like I had heard about it somewhere and I know they made a movie out if so it must be good right. At first I didn't like the story, I couldn't figure out where the plot was going. It probably would have helped if I had read the synopsis before diving in. I guess because it was written in 1937 and is set in the south I assumed it would be about slavery and segregation. About half way through the story I realized I was mistaken so I quit waiting for something bad to happen and that's when I started really enjoying it for what it was a women's literature, romance tale. The story takes us through Janie's (the main character) three marriages on her quest for love. She marries once to please her grandmother, once for the money, and once for true love.
Overall, a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails