Friday, October 26, 2012

Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay, was one of our book club choices that didn't get picked several months ago.  And I noticed my sister had it on her book shelf the last time I went to visit her.  So I borrowed it of course.  I made it through all of 7 pages before I had to run to the computer and look up the plot spoilers.  I refused to continue reading unless I knew what was going to happen in the end. 

The story begins with the French government round up of Jews in Paris, 1944.  We meet 10 year old Sarah and her family as they are awakened in the night by officers coming to take them away.  Thinking she will return very soon, Sarah hides her 4 year old brother in a secret room and locks the door so he will be safe from the round up.   Can you guess where this is going?

Right then and there, as the girl is whisked away with her parents, I had to know.  What is that fate of that innocent, unknowing 4 year old boy.  He dies of course.  In the cupboard before Sarah can return to him.  The rest of the story describes how Sarah was separated from her parents and sent to the concentration camp for children and how she escapes to eventually return to Paris and discover what she guessed had already happened.

Even though the subject matter is gloomy, the story was well written and engaging.  I would recommend it with an asterisk of course about the little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails