Thursday, October 23, 2008

Book Report: The Mermaid Chair

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

I picked this one up since I loved the Secret Life of Bees. It started out freakishly similar to Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya sisterhood. Turns out it is quite similar in plot to that story with an added midlife crisis thrown it. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the story yet not really wanting to. It disconcerting to me to think that one can just wake up after 20 years of marriage and decide you don't want to be there anymore. I suppose if you look around in our society it does happen - though it's heartbreaking for me to think about. Putting my emotions aside, I loved the storyline, plot, hook-line-and sinker. The ending though perfect for me (it ties everything up into a neat little package) is a little unbelievable. I don't think that someone who throws their marriage away, has an affair, has 30 years of irreconcilable differences with their mother can have such a fairytale ending.
Would I read it again - heck yes, 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails