Monday, March 16, 2009

Book Report: A Short History of Nearly Everything

By Bill Bryson

As Timbra kindly reminded me the other day "Weren't you making fun of Will for getting that book?"
Why yes I was. I mercilessly poked fun at Will for getting what I deemed to be a boring book. But I found myself needing something to listen to while I ran so I decided I'd try to enlighten myself. In my defense, I vaguely remember Will saying something about how this book was a history of civilization. Which is why I discounted it as much as I did. I wasn't really interested in re-hashing the Middle Ages and the Fall of the Roman Empire.
I was pleasantly surprised then when I started the book that it is a history of the tangible world's existence i.e. planets, electrons, elements, dinosaurs, man....now this is right up my alley.

It covers basic biology, chemistry, astronomy, biochemistry, evolution and I found myself reminiscing about all the things "I used to know". It was a great "been out of high school 10 years" kind of refresher. I'll admit that just as it was then, there were parts (read - physics) that I just don't get and I still am not that interested in, but all in all it was a good listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails