Monday, April 12, 2010

Freeze Frame

I kind of fell off the book report wagon. Mostly I was feeling inadequate as a book reviewer. If someone wanted to know about a book wouldn't they just go onto amazon or wikipedia and check out the reviews there?


I was thinking maybe something new. Some sort of diorama maybe? That would require a lot of shoe boxes. Which isn't an option (and is a whole different story). What else? Home video a la sixth grade style and a whole lot of bad 20/20 Barbara Walters impersonations? I will think about that. Did we really think those were funny back then? Really?





This month's book club pick was Freeze Frame by Heidi Ayarbe.



The main character, Kyle finds himself wrestling with the death of his best friend Jason. The book follows him as he tries to figure out what's worse, killing your best friend or being killed by your best friend?
The story takes place in Carson City, which was kind of fun to read about places I actually know and have been. But I also found it a little distracting. I guess I like my realistic fiction to be a little less home base. I found myself thinking about Carson High School and the people I know from there instead of sympathizing with the characters in the book.
And given that the book will obviously have quite a bit of death and its affects on peoples lives in it, I found that there were more than a few humorous scenes to balance them out. I actually found myself laughing out loud a few times.

So....If I were going to be doing a diorama (which I am not - obviously) here's what it would have in it:
a watch with a dead battery
a comic book
a jar of red M&Ms
a pair of orange tennis shoes
a rope
a director's chair

Sounds intriguing? Better go read the book then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails