Monday, March 26, 2012

The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible, written by Barbara Kingsolver, has been my favorite book so far this year.  It is the story of a Southern missionary, Nathan Price, who moves his wife and 4 daughters from Georgia to the Belgian Congo in the 1959 to convert the savages to Christianity.  Nathan is not as successful with his mission as he would like to be, and the girls find themselves in the Congo trying to survive for the foreseeable future.  The story is told in part by each of the 5 Price girls.  I thought that it might be a bit confusing jumping around but I soon settled into the book and found that each girl in their own turn had a commanding voice and their own take on what was happening around them. 

I enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible so much it might just make my short list of favorites that get read again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails