Friday, August 23, 2013

Life on the Refrigerator Door

This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the ice box

and which you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

--William Carlos Williams



So it's been too long since I've mentioned what books I'm reading.  Rest assured, it hasn't been from lack of reading. 

Alice Kuiper's Life on the Refrigerator Door was such an interesting concept.  A story told entirely on post-it notes.  Which also makes it an extremely quick read.  It'd be a good commuting or going to a busy beach book.  It is the story of a high school student who lives part time with a busy working mom and part time with her father.  I am sure a lot of families can relate to life lived on the go and leaving notes for mom, dad, son or daughter on the kitchen counter. 

As much as I enjoyed this book, it left me wondering.  Are post-it notes on the way out?  In a world where kids are getting cell phones younger and younger I just don't think this story would have been as endearing had it been a book full of text messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails